Sunday, September 12, 2010

August Happenings

Gosh, we've been busy for awhile. August was full of doing "stuff".

8-7-10 We went to Sheridan to see all the statues around the streets there. Pat had told us about them and had pics. Looked like something we'd want to see. Gma sat in the car where I managed to find shady spots to park. Then I ran around snapping pics for several blocks at a time. They had lots of statues.

8-12-10 One day we took a ride to Louis Lake. Went through Sinks Canyon out of Lander and over the mountain to the lake and came out on South Pass. So went to South Pass City and Atlantic City just because we could. Have been there before, but its been years ago. We didn't stop and look around there, but did drive through them to be sure they were still there. We had a picnic lunch at Louis Lake. I'd never been there before and its a beautiful area. All dirt and gravel roads, of course.

8-14-10 Pat called us one day and said the Patriot Guard would be bringing a flag through Cody that morning on the way to Jackson. Did we want to meet them in Cody for coffee break? Sure. Why not? So off we went and it turned out to be quite impressive to see them parade the flag down the street to the Harley place. Took pics then went to coffee at the Irma before they left on their way through the Park to Jackson. Got back in time for the Senior picnic in the park.

8-20,21,22-10 Two Steeles came for a visit and we took them all over the country in three days. Went to Joe and Joy's one day and had a scrumptious fish fry. Good visit, beautiful country, and just plain fun. Joe met us at the store and I rode with him in his "ol' truck". That wasn't a ride, it was an experience. Managed to get some decent pics of the route in spite of bouncing around.

The next day we took them down Gooseberry. That should have been a couple of hours trip, tops. Took six hours. We all got our history lessons and stopped every little whip stitch to take pics. Lots of fun. Stopped at Woody's but they weren't home. The guys checked out the back lot with all the junked cars and had a ball. Went into Worland for lunch and stopped by the cemetary where the Steele grandparents are buried. After we got back to Meeteetse I took John up to Kirwin. He really wanted to see that. We left here at 4:00pm and got up there at 6:00pm. Of course we had to take pics along the way while the light was good. Then he went into several of the buildings and a mine before the sun got too low behind the hills. Actually it was only about 45 minutes of exploring time. Got back down the hill before it got dark for which I was grateful. I really didn't want to have to be driving down that road in the dark. It's bad enough in the daytime. We made it. Then the guys and I went to the Cowboy for supper. That also happened to be the night that Craig Johnson was giving a talk about his newest book. Had forgotten about that and I wanted the book too. The Johnsons and sponsors came to the Cowboy too, so it all worked out. We got to buy his book and they even bought his first one, which he signed for them. Then photo op time. They also bought some of Big Jim's books and listened to some of Jim's stories. Great time!

Sunday they met us at Church, then lunch. After lunch Gma and I went to Griffin's 50th Anniversary. I was scheduled to take pictures for them. The Steeles went to Thermop for swimming and to see the dinosaur museum. Met them for supper at the ElkHorn, then they left early the next morning to catch their flights from Cody.

8-24-10 Went to LaBarge to eat in the New York Diner one day. Met Dawn there which was fun. She's such a good jolly person. The Diner is "Moondance" and was trucked there from New York as it was scheduled to be demolished there. These people in LaBarge heard about it and bought it to save it. Then brought it back here on a flatbed. Took over a year to get it fixed up and ready to open for business. On our way back we stopped at Fontenelle Dam, just because its there. Never been in there before. Now we have. On our way back down South Pass we took the dirt road that goes through Red Canyon there. Sure is pretty down there. Gives a whole different perspective on the red cliffs from down below.

8-26,27,28-10 The Meeteetse Trail Regulators were here for a few days. They spent a lot of time at the rifle range. We went out there for their final shoot out and watched. Took some pics, but we didn't shoot. This year their big dinner was scheduled at Trail Town in Cody with a tour and talk by Clay Gibbons. Gma didn't want to go for all that, it would have been too long a sitting for her. We did go to the Oasis for breakfast with them Saturday morning and visited. Good to see all of them every year.

Then August was over and its time to start on the September adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment