Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Little Shirley

I went to a funeral in Ten Sleep today.  My friend, Little Shirley, died March 7th.  She had been in ill health for several years, but still it's sad to lose a friend.  At least she is not suffering any more. 

It was a very "up beat" service.  The singer did a beautiful job.  The minister read a poem from the children, and a granddaughter read one from all the grandchildren.  Then people were invited to share little stories for the memories.  There were quite a few.  The Church was packed.  After the service they went across the street to the cemetary for graveside service, then back to the church for a luncheon.

I missed the graveside service as I was visiting with a woman from my childhood.  They lived across the street from us when I was in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grades.  She was two years younger and her sister was a year older.  Anyway she now lives in the house that we lived in way back then.  We had quite a chat.  She met her husband in Las Vegas and they came back to Worland to get married.  Usually people go to Vegas to get married not leave.  She thought that was funny. 

When the people came back for the lunch I got in a short visit with Little Shirley's sisters from Nebraska.  I knew two of them from Omaha days.  The older sister I had met a time or two, but didn't know her as well.  It was good to see them and find out about some of the others that we all roomed with from time to time back then.  Also got to visit Big Shirley.  She lived with Little Shirley in Worland when I was in High School and is Little Shirley's husband's sister.  Finally got a chance to visit with Alice, who is my sister's classmate, but she was always my friend too.  

The day was overcast, but warm and nice.  On the way out of Mtse this morning I drove by the Grass Creek turn off and there was a huge bull elk right in the gateway.  Had to turn around and go back to get his picture.  Two Game and Fish trucks were there by then, but he wasn't going away.  It was like he was pacing back and forth to guard the gateway.  Then a big semi came around the corner, so I assume he moved, but I was gone by then and the elk wasn't anywhere around when I came back.

1 comment: